Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Phenomenally she goes...

I just landed in Las Vegas for a layover as I journey my way to the west coast. Upon turning my phone back on I heard the new about the great mother Maya Angelou and her passing. It has been a while since I have read her poems, books, listened to her speak yet it was easy to find the sound of her voice as I read all the the posts, poems, and quotes as if she had been there all along. 

I remember the first time I heard a Maya Angelou poem. I was 10 years old at a summer camp at Miss Porters School, we had a talent show at the end of the camp, and there is not one performance I remember ...not even my own, but I remember the beautiful brown girl from NYC standing in front of us reading Phenomanl Woman. I don't remember the girls name but I went up to her after and had her write the entire poem in my book where I collected my friends phone numbers and addresses (yes this was before cell phones and facebook). 



As I have gotten older, Maya Angelous words have changed in meaning, resonance, vibration... Her words today remind me of my phenomenalness, my ability to rise, my capacity to love. Her words in every moment where they have entered my soul.... At ten years old, fourteen, nineteen, and twenty-four... Have given me strength, hope, courage. 

I am sad that she will speak words no more but I am so happy that the ones she has spoken, written, and left behind are accessible, available, and will continue to guide me and give me strength exactly when I need it... In those moments I forget just how phenomenal I am. 

Thank you Mother Maya. Thank you for having the courage to speak. I hope to carry your spirit in my soul daily. Love you. Love you. Love you. You have changed my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment